After long dark winter nature bursts back to life with explosion of colour and sound. Nothing is so beautiful as spring and for many of us it is favourite time of the year. There is no better way to enjoy the vivid colours, sound of birds and intense scent of flowers and then outdoors and it’s a fantastic opportunity to capture beautiful portraits.
Here are my tips how to take stunning pictures of your children outdoors:
2. Choose the time of day you photograph wisely. When looking for suitable outdoor light to take photos, keep in mind that the midday sun can be very harsh and will cast unflattering shadows. The best times of day are the early morning hours and the last hour before sunset.
Try to get some great action shots when your child is joyfully running in the grass or playing with friends. Children can only focus for a very short time and most of them simply will not be able follow complicated posing instructions.
4. Consider shooting perspective. The best way to capture a child’s world is to get down to their level. Do not shoot from a standing position. The moment you make pictures at your children’s eye level, you will start to make pictures that better capture their experience.
5. Avoid busy backgrounds. Always pay attention to distracting elements in the background of your shots, as well as any other unwanted details. For example, wipe your child’s face after having a snack and make sure that the hands and feet are visible in whole body portraits.
6. The child’s styling. When photographing children in flowers, it is important that the colour of the flowers works with their clothing. Loud or patterned clothing might distract the eye and take attention away from the subject. Whatever your ultimate creative goal, keep in mind that kids feel more relaxed in casual, comfortable clothing rather than formal wear.
7. Shoot a lot! Keep on taking lots of shots and vary angles and distance throughout the shooting. There will definitely be some out of focus images with odd expressions or cheesy smiles, but I sure you will end up with at least a few gems in the end.
8. Respect the nature. Photography sessions in the bluebells are one of the most beautiful locations of the year; woodlands with a floor of bluebells gives their photography session an enchanting, timeless and magical feel. Therefore protect the bluebells, they are special and are easily damaged. When taking photos amongst them please tread carefully and keep to the pathways or empty patches.
You can hear negative opinions about photographers photographing children and families in the middle of the bluebells. The true is that we, photographers, are respectful and perfectly able to take photos to look like children are sat among the flowers. We actually place our models on the paths and simply shoot from very low down and that way we make a path disappear in the camera.
Here are some examples:
Using Photoshop Magic to add extra flowers
Shooting through the bluebells using telephoto lens
I hope you found my tips "How to photograph children in spring flowers" useful and manage to capture some gorgeous photos of your children in the spring flowers. Please feel free to share your favourite Spring photos of your child with me – I would love to see them!
Outdoor spring family photo shoot is a great way of spending the day out in nature and also a fantastic opportunity to capture beautiful spring family portraits. Now I'm booking for my Mini Bluebell sessions - here you can find all details.
Family Bluebell portrait session London, Bluebell portrait shoot in London, Wanstead child family photographer, Snaresbrook child family photographer, Aldersbrook child family photographer, Walthamstow child family photographer, South Woodford child family photographer, Woodford child family photographer Chigwell child family photographer, Chingford child family photographer,
Buckhurst Hill child family photographer, Loughton child family photographer, Theydon Bois child family photographer, Epping child family photographer, Chelmsford child family photographer,
Barnet child family photographer, Hampstead child family photographer, Finchley child family photographer,
Finsbury child family photographer, Alexandra Palace child family photographer, Islington child family photographer, Notting Hill Child family photographer